Wiring issues are not problems you can ignore at your home or building. To avoid serious threats to your property, including fires, it’s important to repair or replace wiring at the first signs of an issue. Call Premier Service Company, Inc. to have your home’s wiring inspected. A family-owned business, we’ve provided service to the Tuscaloosa, AL area since 1992.
Protect your family against the silent threat of carbon monoxide. Ask us about our carbon monoxide detector installation services.
Dangers of Aluminum Wiring
Aluminum wiring can be present in older homes. While this form of wiring can effectively provide electricity to the property, it can also pose risks to the house as it can expand, leading to overheating at the connection points. Other risks of using this type of wiring can include:
- It can become brittle and more prone to oxidation, which can cause electrical fires.
- The soft wires can get cut or crushed during renovation projects. Damaged wires can create hot spots, which can lead to overheating.
- A 55% higher risk of fires than homes with copper wiring.
- When the wiring oxidizes, arcing can occur. This can lead to overheating and fire.
- When it rusts it can develop a white oxide that can lead to overheating.
Benefits of Copper Wiring
Newer homes are now built with copper wiring instead of aluminum. If you have aluminum wiring in your older home, you should consider replacing it with copper wiring to take advantage of these benefits:
- Copper wiring has a high resistance to heat. This can help prevent overloading and melting.
- Copper wiring is very thin. This lets it bend and twist easily without causing damage.
- This wiring is resistant to corrosion and rusting.
- Copper wiring is easy for professionals to install.
Electrical issues can pose threats to your home. To protect your house and family, schedule a whole house safety inspection!
Signs Your Wiring Needs to Be Replaced
If you wait too long to replace the wiring in your property you could be at risk of major threats, including fires. Instead, it’s important to call a professional to install new wiring at the first signs that the existing wires need to be replaced. Some symptoms can include:
- Bad connections. These can pose a potential fire risk.
- You notice the lights dimming or brightening periodically.
- You notice the lights flickering. This can signal a possible connection issue.
- You smell burning plastic.
- There are visible sparks, flames or smoke.
- The wires are overheating.
- You notice scorching around or behind the face plate. The plate may also be hot to the touch.