When a fire occurs at your home or building, your best chance to get your family or building occupants to safety is through smoke detectors. These provide alerts to warn everyone of the danger. Without them, people might not have a chance to get out of the property before the fire spreads. To avoid these dangers, make sure you have smoke detectors repaired or replaced at the first signs of an issue. Call Premier Service Company, Inc. to have our trusted electricians install or repair your units. A family-owned company, we’ve been providing services to the Tuscaloosa, AL area since 1992.
Don’t risk being kept in the dark during the next power outage! Learn about our whole house generator services.
Why You Need Functioning Smoke Detectors?
When a fire starts at your home or building, your best defense can be a functioning smoke detector. These units can alert your family or building occupants if there is a fire, allowing them to safely evacuate the property.
To ensure everyone’s safety, you need to take the following steps to ensure the devices are functioning properly:
- Check each monitor at least once a month.
- Install the proper amount of devices throughout your property.
- Place a monitor outside each bedroom in your house.
- Install a device on each floor of the building or home.
- Install monitors that are connected, so if one alarm sounds they all do to ensure they can be heard throughout the property.
- Take caution when installing a device near the kitchen as smoke from cooking can trigger false alarms.
- Install units with strobe lights in properties to alert anyone with hearing issues to the fire.
- Hire an electrician to correctly install the alarms and check on their functionality.
Signs You Need New Smoke Detectors
To keep your property safe, it’s important to verify that the smoke detectors in your home or building are working properly. If not, you need to replace them at the first signs of an issue to ensure everyone in the home or building is safe.
Some signs that can indicate you need to replace your smoke detectors can include:
- You should replace your property’s smoke detectors at least every 10 years, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends. You should replace any devices older than 10 years as soon as possible. Hire an electrician to install new units, or to check the age of your current devices if you are uncertain.
- False alarms, if your devices are giving you false alarms it could mean there is an issue with the sensor. Have an electrician inspect the units to determine if they should be replaced.
Carbon monoxide can be a silent killer! Keep your family safe by installing a carbon monoxide monitor. Contact us to learn more details!
Test Your Smoke Detectors to Ensure They Work
Smoke detectors can only protect your family from a fire if they work properly. To ensure they are functioning as expected, you should perform tests. Do this by following these steps:
- Make sure everyone in the household is aware of the test.
- Position someone in the household at a point farthest away from the smoke detector. This will allow him or her to determine if the alarm can be heard throughout the entire house, or if more devices need to be installed.
- To trigger the alarm, press the test button and listen for the high-pitched alarm. While doing this, it can be a good time to replace the batteries (especially if they haven’t been changed for more than six months) or to remove dust or debris from the device.